My Top 10 BEST Movies of 2017

Hello everyone! It is that time of year again where I select my top picks of the movies made in 2017.

Honestly, what a year it has been for movies. While coming up with my top 10, it was really difficult as there have been some truly excellent movies this year.

Like every annual edition of this, my whole list is purely based on my personal opinions of the movies and I promise you that they will not reflect the opinions of many others. I mean, that's the whole point in a Top 10 list anyway.

Also, I didn't manage to catch many acclaimed movies this year cos I've just been that busy. I missed movies like Split, Baby DriverCoco and some Oscar contenders like The Disaster Artist, The Shape of Water, and Darkest Hour which weren't released in Singapore before the end of the year. So yes, please understand.

Of course, if you disagree with any of my picks, do feel free to comment.

Now, to start things off, let's reveal my honourable mentions.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS


Logan Lucky




Logan Lucky, not to be confused with Logan, was a really fun time in the cinema. I've always had a soft spot for indie films and this latest offering from Steven Soderbergh of Oceans trilogy acclaim further softened that spot.

It featured some hilarious and unconventional performances from actors you'd least expect to play roles like the ones they did. Chief among them being Daniel Craig, who was absolutely brilliant playing an over-the-top American explosives expert.

The movie is stylish, funny and it would've very easily made my top 10 if not for the many other excellent films 2017 had produced.


Annabelle: Creation



I am the sort of person who's already scared by the posters and trailers of horror movies I've not even seen yet.

Despite that, my tolerance and appreciation for the horror genre has improved tremendously over the past couple of years, and I've managed to realise that some of these horror films are actually very good movies in their own right once the whole horror element is taken out of consideration.

I didn't see the first Annabelle movie but reviews weren't exactly gleaming. It was quite the opposite with its sequel, which I thought had a good plot and some very inventive scare tactics like having jump scare sequences in broad daylight, which to me was pretty intriguing and it genuinely gave me some major frights.

The performances from the child actors were brilliant as was the film's score which was nothing short of thrilling.

Only downsides were how the movie constantly fell back into the safety net of genre-clichés instead of trying something different, and I found myself laughing at how stupid some of the characters were in their decision-making which always leads to the expected jump scare.

Typical. Anyway, moving on.


Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle



I was honestly surprised by this movie.

When I saw the trailers I was adamant that the movie was going to be complete and utter trash. It just gave off the impression that it was one of those modern-day Hollywood cash-cow remakes or spinoffs of an old popular movie or property. Basically an old name or franchise which they try to milk as much money out of.

We've seen plenty of these over the past few years to mostly abysmal effect. Pieces of garbage like Ghostbusters (2016), The Karate Kid (2010), and every sodded Transformers sequel which gets worse and worse every time. I gave up on that franchise after the the third movie.

This movie was one of the ultra-rare cases where the rehash actually worked - and to brilliant effect too!

By updating the classic Jumanji (1995) from being about a board game to being about video games, it made for a really interesting concept which subsequently made for one of the most fun and downright hilarious movie-going experiences of the year.

The cast was great and it was so fun seeing Jack Black and Dwayne Johnson having fun by playing very different characters to those they're normally known/typecast for.

Oh, and how hot is Karen Gillan? Damn it Marvel, why do you have to cover her face in all that blue shit for her role as Nebula?



Kingsman: The Golden Circle



Like many, I was a HUGE fan of the first movie. It was a welcome breath of fresh air for the spy-action genre which was starting to look a bit lacking in the "new ideas" department.

This sequel builds upon the fun and innovation of the first movie but does also fall back into genre-cliché territory quite a lot. What I can really appreciate with what the Kingsman movies are doing for the modern generation is how it's doing what the James Bond films did for their respective generations back in the day in terms of cultural impact and with all the cool gadgetry.

I liked the introduction of the Statesmen and the whole American side of the movie. It was fun and creates a large world which the characters exist in filled with endless possibilities.

I can't wait for the third movie, though I did read that director Matthew Vaughn may not be returning for it.

If that were the case then maybe I wouldn't be as excited for the next movie. After all, he is the reason why these movies work. The man's a filmmaking genius.

And now, it's time for the Top 10.


10. Blade Runner 2049



What a visual treat this was. If Roger Deakins doesn't win the Oscar for Best Cinematography, the Academy need a new pair of glasses and a degree update.

I went in to 2049 with absolutely no idea what to expect. Was it going to be a direct sequel to the mesmerising original by Ridley Scott or was it going to be some kind of spinoff.

All I can say after watching it is that it's one of those rare films these days which you can call an "epic".

When you think of movie epics, you think of Lawrence of Arabia (1962) or The Godfather (1972). This movie along with Blade Runner (1982) is right among them.

It's a slow-burner at a whopping 163 minutes-long, it's a visual spectacle and it tells a deep and layered story which builds upon the world of the original and modernises it to become a truly unique film. It's masterfully directed by Denis Villeneuve, whom I think is one of the most talented filmmakers working today.

Why isn't it higher up my list, you may ask? Well, it's my list and I just happened to like many other films this year more.

Moving along.


9. John Wick: Chapter 2



I am an absolute sucker for stylised violence.

It is the reason why I thoroughly enjoy the works of Tarantino and Leone, just to name a couple of my favourite directors.

I didn't like the first movie very much but wow, with the sequel it was just spectacular. The action was so gritty and gripping, stylish yet realistically brutal to a point where you feel every punch and gunshot.

The cinema I watched it in had the sound system on extremely loud which made my experience even more thrilling. Was pretty darn deaf leaving the theatre.

Keanu Reeves cemented his place as the OG of all the OG's when it comes to the "old man kicks ass" series of movies that all started with grandaddy Liam Neeson in Taken (2008).


8. Thor: Ragnarok



I still think that that is a disgusting looking poster. Seems as though the poster theme for all of the MCU movies this year was "colour and picture vomit". I mean, have you seen the monstrosity which is the Spider-Man: Homecoming poster?

Anyway, I digress.

Thor: Ragnarok was one of the funniest movies of the year and definitely the funniest of all the MCU movies. After all, it was always intended as a full-on totally unserious comedy which laughs at itself and its own universe throughout.

In many ways, it does a Deadpool in that it doesn't take it self seriously at all.

It makes for a fresh take on a superhero movie and a character whose solo movies prior to Ragnarok were widely regarded as some of the weaker entries in the MCU.


7. Bad Genius



I was invited along with my course mates in school to a preview screening of this Thai drama which we all had absolutely no idea was about.

It turned out to be a super thrilling and exciting drama filled with some of the most stylish and innovative editing I've ever seen in a film. Some of the shots were pretty amazing as well. I mean, they made an exam hall look cool for crying out loud.

Although the story does become way to far-fetched and ridiculous towards the end, overall it was thoroughly thrilling and extremely tense.


6. It



Much like Annabelle: Creation, I was able to appreciate It as a movie beyond the horror elements.

I had such a great time with this movie and had some genuinely frightening scares which left the hairs on the back of my neck standing for quite some time.

The actors (especially the younger ones) did a fantastic job, especially considering how a lot of the scary effects made by Pennywise were CGI.

It made for one of the scarier Halloweens I've lived through because literally everyone dressed up like Pennywise. Why couldn't it have been like 2016 where almost every young girl was bringing out their inner slutty side by dressing up as Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad.

Plus, I'm now afraid of every sole floating red balloon everywhere.


5. Dunkirk



... and the Oscar for Best Sound Design HAS TO GO TO DUNKIRK.

From the first gunshot I was left trembling at how realistic it sounded, and I've heard a real gun fire before so I know!

Sound Design aside, this was a very interesting take on a war movie by Christopher Nolan, as he chose to focus on the event as a whole and not on a few main characters.

On top of that, there was the intricate attention to using practical effects, as Nolan is notoriously known for, which made for a gritty and shockingly realistic depiction of a real event.

I read somewhere that Nolan screened the film for some of the survivors of the actual event and that they had pretty traumatic responses to it, indicating how accurate the film captured the event.

Pretty stunning stuff if you ask me. I mean, as sad as it is for the survivors, it's also the ultimate compliment to any filmmaker.

I expect plenty of Oscar noms for this movie.


4. Wonder Woman



There was never a doubt in my mind that Wonder Woman would make my Top 10.

At a time where the DCEU needed hope with a big hit amongst critics, director Patty Jenkins and the magnificent Gal Gadot delivered and with style in abundance too.

Undoubtedly a giant step in the right direction for the DCEU (until Justice League happened), the movie was thrilling, graceful, stylish and so effortlessly charming thanks to the sheer charisma and jaw-dropping beauty of the film's lead, it was a great watch which fully deserved all the acclaim it received.

Only downside for it would've been in its pretty weak villain Ares... which if you shift the letters around, spells "arse" as I found out with a typo.

The future looks bright for the DCEU, and step one of progress begins with the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League. Come on Warner Bros, give us fans what we want.


3. The Greatest Showman



The soundtrack is still on repeat on my Spotify almost two weeks after watching it.

It's been a while since I left the cinema feeling so warm and happy after watching a movie. With The Greatest Showman, it delivered that feeling with considerable ease thanks to it's absolutely beautiful story about love and humanity, with themes of equality, inclusion and family.

On top of that, we also got some fantastic musical numbers which one would struggle not to sing along to.

Hugh Jackman delivers a spirited and powerful performance as P.T. Barnum, and considering how much he went through to get this movie made, you could see why.

I cannot rave about this movie enough. What I can say though is that the 56% approval rating it currently holds on Rotten Tomatoes (as of 11th January 2018) is complete and utter bollocks.

I didn't manage to review it properly so here you go, it gets an 8.5/10 for me.


2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi



No surprises here.

As divisive as The Last Jedi was with fans, it is undeniable that it was bloody brilliant entertainment throughout.

Well, except for everything on Canto Bight as well as the character of Rose which was stupid and shouldn't have even been in the movie.

I admired the bold direction taken by writer and director Rian Johnson and in many instances, I enjoyed these big decisions.

Pair this daring adventure with yet another stunning score by the legend that is John Williams, and you've got a Star Wars movie which, as polarising as it got, was nothing short of memorable.

I can't wait to see the direction J. J. Abrams takes the characters in Episode IX.

And now for my number one pick, but then again you already know what it is.


1. Logan



Were you expecting anything else?

Logan is the best comic book movie I have ever seen. Yes, it's even ousted The Dark Knight (2008).

It featured such a deep and personal story which shows one of our favourite characters of all-time in Wolverine in a light we have never seen him in before.

He's damaged, broken and fighting an illness he can't do much about. A mere shade of the Wolverine we've known and loved for the past 17 years.

Hugh Jackman, for the second time in the same year, delivers a tremendous performance filled with immense depth and power, and gives the character he made his own the ultimate send-off any tortured hero could've asked for.

Newcomer Dafne Keen is absolutely brilliant as Laura/X-23 and Sir Patrick Stewart, like Hugh Jackman, delivered such a torn and conflicted performance as Professor Charles Xavier that was simply stunning.

Pair these three groundbreaking performances with a great story and direction by James Mangold to match, and you've got the best movie of 2017 and one of the best, I think, ever made.

I'm honestly very bummed that Logan didn't receive any major award nominations as of yet because it truly deserves Oscar buzz.

Come on guys, so what if it's a comic book movie? It deserves the accolades.




So there you have it folks - my personal Top 10 Best films of the year.

Do comment your own Top 10 of 2017 as I'm interested to see what others think of the year's offerings. Let's face it, it was a brilliant year for film.

Coming up is my Top 5 Worst Movies of the Year list. Yes, FIVE and not 10 because I simply didn't see that many duds this year.

So stay tuned!

Comments