My Most Anticipated Movies of 2017

2017 is a year filled with promise for all of us movie buffs. So many announcements were made last year and we have such a selection of movies to see in the new year.

I, for one am very excited by all these and I've put together a little list of the movies I'm most looking forward to. These are arranged by the month of their release as the year goes by. Also note that these release dates are based on predictions made on this website (http://www.insing.com/movies/coming-soon/) so murder them instead if I'm wrong about the dates.

Now, without further ado...


February


The Founder



I'm really interested in this movie because I genuinely want to know the story behind McDonald's and how it became such a worldwide name.

With one of my favourite actors working today in Michael Keaton in the lead, I'm definitely up for this biopic.

Release Date: 9th February 2017


The Lego Batman Movie



I honestly don't know why I included this movie on my list. Was never a big fan of Lego Batman and I didn't even see The Lego Movie but heck, I think I'ma just give this one a shot.

I mean, how bad can it be, right? The movie seems pretty self-aware of its silliness too and I like that.

Release Date: 9th February 2017


Manchester by the Sea



As one of 2016's hottest contenders for awards season, I simply can't miss this one. Starring Michelle Williams and the younger brother of a certain Ben Affleck, Casey, who has already won the Golden Globe and is backed to follow that up with a Best Actor nod at the Oscars.

If that were to happen, it would be the first time in Academy Awards history that two brothers won Oscars (not at the same time, sadly. Ben was busy last year being freaking Batman).

Another interesting thing is that this movie isn't even about the Manchester in England. It's based in Manchester-by-the-Sea in Massachusetts so that's a bummer cos I love England although I hate Manchester because reasons.

Release Date: 16th February 2017


March


Logan



I'm just going to put it out there. Logan is THE movie I'm looking forward to the most in 2017.

I have a really good feeling about this one. From the awesome promotional campaign on Instagram by director James Mangold, the two epic trailers and an official R-rating for graphic violence and strong language... I really hope all of that doesn't go to waste.

Of course I'll go in with my expectations in check, but boy this really looks good and it certainly looks like the Wolverine movie we've all been waiting for.

Plus, Sir Patrick Stewarts throws F-bombs in the movie so heck yeah sign me up for that.

Release Date: 2nd March


Beauty and the Beast



Talk about a perfect casting choice. I really can't wait to see Emma Watson as Belle in this live-action remake of a Disney classic.

The trailers look so promising and even the new cover of the original song by Ariana Grande (whom I "love") and John Legend actually sounded good... in the trailer.

The full version was released on Spotify a few days later and I'm erm... not impressed. Too much of that whiny nonsense that Ariana does that's very Mariah Carey, whom I also don't like. Anyway, I hope they use the trailer version (it does sound different) in the movie and I'll be content.

Release Date: 16th March 2017


April


The Fate of the Furious



Yes yes, a huge surprise coming from me considering how I absolutely hated Furious 7.

But this 8th instalment in the ridiculous franchise adds class acts in Hollywood A-listers Kurt Russell, Charlize Theron and Helen Mirren to the cast and I couldn't help but look into it.

I've seen some footage and I still think these movies are ridiculously stupid but heck, I'll just give this one a shot.

Oh and my celebrity man crush Scott Eastwood (son of Clint) is in it as well so I'm up for that.

Release Date: 13th April 2017


May


Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2



Heck yeah, I can't wait for GOTG 2. The first movie was such a surprise success thanks to its totally comedic approach to the superhero genre with heroes literally no one has ever heard of.

It will be interesting to see how these folks link with the Avengers on Earth so bring on Baby Groot, more awesomeness and an even better soundtrack.

Release Date: 4th May 2017


June


Wonder Woman



Will this be DC's long-awaited hit with the critics? I sincerely hope it will be, and from the footage I've seen, I'm pretty optimistic.

Credit to DC for making a movie with a strong female hero in the lead at only the fourth time of asking in their universe. It's such a refreshing take and I hope Wonder Woman slays after having stolen the show in BvS.

Hope all the speculation that the movie is in post-production turmoil is all false.

Release Date: 1st June 2017



Kingsman: The Golden Circle



I'm really pumped for this. I was one of those who absolutely adored the first movie and how it was basically an R-rated James Bond.

I'm a fan of Matthew Vaughn and I'm happy he returned to direct the sequel which I hope will be as good if not better than the original. It's interesting too because there have been no trailers whatsoever yet, not even a high-resolution poster.

As such there might be some discrepancies with regards to the legitimate release date so I'll just leave it as it is and hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Release Date: 15th June 2017 (Although Google says September-October)



July


Spider-Man: Homecoming



As with the case of Wonder Woman, I really hope they nail it with Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Captain America: Civil War already gave us a great taster of what Tom Holland could bring to the front as Spidey and I really hope they can make the most of him in this one.

The first trailer is pretty promising, Tony Stark's role in it looks significant and cool, I hope we get more hot Aunt May and let's just hope for a solid Spider-Man movie after the mess which was The Amazing Spider-Man movies with Andrew Garfield.

Release Date: 6th July 2017


Dunkirk



I honestly know close to nothing about this movie apart from that it is the new Christopher Nolan movie which means it's almost certainly worth a watch. Even his last movie Interstellar was a visual treat despite myself not enjoying it particularly because it was too complicated in terms of the science of it all or me.

I believe Dunkirk is set during World War II and it's a war epic and there are explosions and beach invasions and people die. Cool shit, and since it's Christopher Nolan we're talking about, this movie is bound to look amazing.

Release Date: 20th July 2017



August


Cars 3



Loved the first one, kind of hated the second and I'm hoping they can get it right with the third.

From the promotional material released thus far, it appears that Lightning McQueen might be in Doc Hudson's shoes this time round in terms of experiencing a major accident which would take a massive toll on his racing career.

It'll be pretty cool to see if they go down that route and show Lightning getting back up on his feet again after injury. Alternatively, everything could just be rubbish and it'll be a terrible movie. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Release Date: 31st August 2017



November


Justice League



I'm sorry but I really couldn't give a shit about Thor: Ragnarok (which is also set to be released in November 2017). I don't know, I didn't like the last two standalone Thor movies and it just doesn't really appeal to me.

Justice League, on the other hand, looks freaking dope albeit very un-Zack Snyder-like in terms of tone from what I've seen. Justice League looks to be a lot lighter in tone as compared to the brooding darkness of Man Of Steel and BvS and it's good that they listened to the fans who complained that the movies were getting too dark (although dark is awesome).

I just hope Justice League rocks and that the new characters won't disappoint. One thing's for sure though, Aquaman's gonna be such a badass. I can't wait for this.

Release Date: 16th November 2017



December


Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi



The title of Episode VIII was revealed not too long ago and its sent many fans wild in speculation. Is Luke going to die? What about Leia? Well, let's just wait and see. One thing that's for sure is that we'll get a lot more Luke this time round which will be awesome.

I mean, just imagine Luke in a Yoda-type role. Now, that's pretty dope. It'll be nice to see the new cast back as well and I hope we get to learn much more about Kylo Ren's character and background, same for Snoke. It's just so exciting and the hype will be mad once the first trailer drops.

Release Date: 15th December 2017



There you have it folks! These are my picks for my most anticipated movies of the year.

Of course, there are bound to be films I'll most definitely be looking forward to later on that are not on this list because of new trailers or promotional material and well, can't include them all.

Here's to an epic year of movies!

Comments