John Wick: Chapter 2

SPOILER-FREE MOVIE REVIEW

A sequel with an even higher advisory rating for more violence, blood and gore than the first movie? Hell yeah, sign me up for that.

John Wick: Chapter 2 continues the story of the titular character played by Keanu Reeves, a former hitman forced out of retirement after a bounty is placed on his head by Italian mob boss Santino D'Antonio (Riccardo Scamarcio).

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first movie mainly because of how saturated the genre of the "old man comes out of retirement to kick some serious ass" movies had become after the three Taken movies and other forgettable attempts at ripping off Liam Neeson's badassery had been released.

Although John Wick (2014) brought many new things to the table in the very kungfu-style fight sequences and more stylised action scenes, I still found it all rather dull and even unimpressive at some points.

I had none of those qualms with John Wick: Chapter 2, though, mainly due to how the filmmakers managed to successfully up the ante with this one.

I am one who thoroughly enjoys graphic violence of the M18-and-above-kind. Many times I'm left disappointed when films are restricted to PG13-level sparring which can be so boring after you've had many tastes of the real deal. Coming from a big Quentin Tarantino fan, I absolutely adore highly-stylised violence.

From the start of the movie, you immediately notice the increased level of detail and intensity when it comes to the violence and brutality of the action set-pieces. The first movie was rated NC16 and felt really mild in comparison to this one. If I talk in Nando's terms, the first movie would be Lemon & Herb while Chapter 2 is more Hot Peri Peri (as you can probably tell, I am very hungry as I write this).

What added to the experience for my viewing was the cinema I was in (my usual theatre, Shaw Lido in Orchard) which for some reason cranked the volume of the sound system up to 'Deafening' which made every crash and bang sound so real and loud.

When each shot was fired, you really felt the impact of it and for that, I have to commend the excellent sound design and editing because it was phenomenal how you could tell by the change in sound effects when a bullet penetrated a body that someone got shot and hurt.

These movies also carry a Jason Bourne element in them which is in how the titular character makes use of his surroundings as weapons, which is always cool to see. What made this one even better was how you actually get to see how these makeshift weapons are utilised and where they end up hurting some baddies, which is so gruesome and yet strangely satisfying. Boy, do I enjoy R-rated violence.

On the topic of Jason Bourne, I also felt that the manner in which the fight sequences are shot are quite similar to the Bourne movies in terms of the effective use of shaky cam (a technique I normally despise when used cheaply) and how the camera really "gets in" to the action so you see where the heroes and baddies get hurt. It's all very gritty and no-nonsense and I really liked that.

It also helped that the director of the first movie, Chad Stahelski, returned for this one and as such, the style of the movie felt similar to the first movie but featured some added finesse and class.

In many instances, sequels that change the director (e.g. Now You See Me 2, the Taken sequels, etc.) contain very evident stylistic changes which make the sequels feel like a different movie or a movie set in a different universe. An illegitimate child, if you may.

For the story, I was worried that it would be too similar to the original. I was really hoping the baddies wouldn't murder his dog this time around or something like that which would then trigger him to go on his mad killing spree.

Thankfully, instead of a full-on revenge plot, we get a nice blend of revenge, getaway, stealth and all-out action in what was a simple and yet interesting story which doesn't ever fall into the "been there, done that" category which we've seen all too often with many action movies in recent years.

Let's talk about the cast and for the most part, I thought they were all okay. I quite liked how slimy and cowardly the main antagonist was whenever he tries to act tough with John Wick but then realises the position he's put himself in by challenging a killing machine as efficient as Wick is.

Perhaps my only issue was with some of Keanu Reeves' line delivery. I feel that both he and Timothy Dalton as James Bond suffer from an inability to deliver impactful one-liners. That's not to put down their individual talent as actors, no. In fact, I admire them both very much (with a soft spot for Dalton cos he was one of my favourite James Bond's).

It's just when the script requires Reeves to deliver a funny quip or a badass one-liner where he falls short, either being too serious or just monotonous in his line delivery. Apart from that, he's bloody brilliant and knowing how he did most of his stunts and fighting scenes (even going through extensive gun and fight training for the role) himself just makes him even more of a badass.

Some gripes I have include a number of continuity errors throughout involving bloodstained shirts. Normally, I'm not one who picks out these things because I don't consciously look out for them. Hence, to notice these minor details wasn't so good.

I also didn't appreciate how some bits got quite ridiculous in plausibility, like how Wick can repeatedly get knocked over by speeding cars and yet get up and continue fighting. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a movie where anyone gets knocked down by a car so often.

Lastly, there were instances where help arrived for the protagonist at the right place, at the right time. It happened quite often and sometimes it was just too coincidental to be even downright believable. I understand that movies are all just fantasy but considering how brutally realistic the violence is, I'd expect some realism from the circumstances characters encounter as well.

On a technical level, the movie is well shot, choreographed and directed with very engaging high-octane pacing which never ever leaves a grain of boredom in you. The music's not too bad either.

All in all, John Wick: Chapter 2 was one of those rare cases where the sequel is actually better than the first movie. In my opinion, at least.

It feels more refined than the first and Keanu Reeves looks more comfortable and familiar in the role. The familiar style of filmmaking which matches the first movie's also helps tremendously in making this sequel feel as one with the original.

The amped-up violence and gore make the movie truly memorable for its fight sequences and immediately elevates its status to being one of the best movies for truly brutal and intense fight scenes. Stunning work by the actors and choreographers.

If you haven't seen the first movie, well, it doesn't really matter because I watched this without remembering much from the original at all due to how mediocre I found it. I'm so glad this sequel was so much better and interesting.

I'm actually interested in watching the next one.

That was a good one, folks. Do check it out. On a sidenote, it's a pretty massive week for me because my most anticipated movie of the entire year, Logan is out this Thursday and I am psyched for it.

At least my bloodlust has been quenched for now after having seen some proper M18 violence. Till Thursday where I can see Hugh Jackman slice and dice some baddies for one last time as Wolverine.

7.5/10.

Comments