My Top 10 BEST Movies of 2015

Hey guys!

This list has taken me a while to create because of numerous reasons, such as too many good movies to make the list or the act of taking into account how biased I may have been in my initial choices.

I've also missed a number of movies that have received outstanding reviews. Movies like Sicario, The Martian, Mad Max: Fury Road and Jurassic World, just to name a few.

Hence, this list will contain only movies I've seen that were released in 2015, and everything said is my own opinion so do respect that if you don't want to be offended.

Well, now that those issues have been sorted out, here is my long-overdue post.

My Top 10 BEST Movies of 2015.


10. Cinderella



Coming in at #10 is the modern remake of a Disney classic, Cinderella.

Surprise, surprise, eh? Haha.

This was the first movie I reviewed on this blog, and I still remember how much I was raving about this movie in the few days after I had seen it.

Why I liked it so much was the fact that this is already such a well-known story, and yet this movie was able to find something new and fresh in its way of telling it.

Furthermore, the casting was spot-on, especially with Lily James as the lead character. She was an inspired choice.

It was well directed and very well made, well shot too.

It made me laugh and it made me cry... a bit, and it made my number 10 spot.

9. Bridge of Spies



I'm a sucker for war epics, and this is no exception.

Set during the height of the Cold War in the 60s, this movie covered the story of a convicted Russian spy and his American lawyer played by Tom Hanks in their quest to finding justice for their mistreatment.

You can't really go wrong with Steven Spielberg directing and Tom Hanks in the lead, can you?

Both do a great job as you'd expect, with Hanks especially showing his excellent versatility.

Kudos to Mark Rylance as Rudolf Abel too. He played the character with such coolness and finesse.

It was gripping, tense, epic and moving.

I'd say this'll be in contention for a number of Oscars, including all the major categories except Best Actress.

8. Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron



Another surprise, perhaps. As the second Avengers movie only makes #8 on my list.

Admittedly, as time went on and more movies were released, the hype and feeling I had towards this movie started dying down.

When I watched it in the cinemas, I was raving about it non-stop, saying how I liked it better than the first one and how it was the best movie of the year at that point (it was).

Now though, I still like it very much - just not as much as before.

It's a great follow-up to the first movie, with a good story, a great and memorable villain, the superb cast working well together again and an overall epic feel to it.

It's a good movie, just that others this year were much, much better.

7. The Intern



Don't you just love it when you see two of your very favourite actors doing a movie just to have a little fun?

That's exactly how I felt with The Intern - probably the best feel-good movie I've seen in a long time.

I loved how enthusiastic Robert De Niro was in playing his role, and how well-groomed and gentlemanly he was as his character.

Anne Hathaway was great too, showing that she can do smaller movies like these with considerable ease.

The exact same can be said about De Niro in this one too.

This movie made me smile, and it made me feel very happy.

A great movie to put on, whatever the occasion.

6. Ant-Man



That's right, folks. I rank Ant-Man higher than its bigger brother.

Just as I thought the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) was running out of ideas, they surprised me with this lovely new movie.

It was nice how it's more comedic too, so it's more of an action-comedy - a very welcome new approach.

It reminded me of the impact the first couple of Iron Man movies had on me - a fun, escapist two hours of smash, boom and bang.

This does a little more than just that, though. This one has heart.

Match that with the very unusual "superpower" of being able to shrink into a microscopic size, and you have a very fun movie experience.

5. Kingsman: The Secret Service



This movie did to this current generation what James Bond did to those in the 60s-80s.

An escapist spy-thriller with such outlandish plots and villainy, with gadgets galore - all without ruining the line of their suits. Only difference being that Kingsman has the freedom of adding as much violence, gore and what not. Bond doesn't/didn't.

Boy, was Kingsman superb.

It was stylish, classy, and just all-round fantastic.

The cast does a great job in their roles, especially up-and-coming Taron Egerton as Eggsy and Samuel L. Jackson as lisping-megalomaniac, Richmond Valentine.

I can't even begin to describe how eggcited (BADUM-TSSSS) I am for its sequel coming next year.

4. SPECTRE



Only fourth, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved SPECTRE (unlike pretty much the rest of the world), but there were just simply better movies this year.

That's the thing about the 24th James Bond film too - it divides opinions.

If you liked it, you loved it. If you didn't, you freaking hated it.

I loved it because it was a return to classic Bond, a celebration of what makes the series what it is.

I liked it better than Skyfall, and that in itself is a massive achievement to a massive James Bond fan.

The only qualms I had with it was the villain played by double Oscar-winner Christoph Waltz.

I felt that he was painfully underused, and that the character simply didn't do the actor justice.

The rest of the movie was great, though, with excellent performances by Daniel Craig and Léa Seydoux.

It's definitely not the best Bond film I've seen, but it's certainly up there amongst the elite.

3. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation



Coming in at number three is quite simply the best instalment of the Mission: Impossible series.

I still remember how I was watching it in the cinema, and this thought ran through my head: "Boy, this is good. This is more than what I expected, and this is what I paid for."

It's a solid film, with an excellent cast (especially the beautiful and magnificent Rebecca Ferguson as the female lead), a good story and some spectacular action scenes.

Yes, it did feel that it kind of copied the style of James Bond - especially with the manner in which Tom Cruise hung from the side of the plane in the opening scene (shouting "Open the door!" and what not), but that's not entirely a bad thing.

Let's face it, both movie series have been borrowing ideas from each other - in recent years, at least.

For example, M:I 4 introduced the team Ethan Hunt worked with, Skyfall did the same with Q, Moneypenny and Tanner.

In this movie, that borrowing is done to the best effect - it enhanced the film and made it even better.

It's exciting, the music is great, the action is awesome.

It's simply a fantastic time, and as much as I hate to admit it, it does just only slightly rank higher than SPECTRE.

America (and China) defeats Great Britain this time around.

2. Creed



This movie was the sole reason as to why this list took me so long to make.

I felt that I had already missed too many critically-acclaimed movies last year, so I just had to catch Creed before its cinematic run came to an end.

Thank heavens I did, cos it was a fantastic film.

I also just watched the original Rocky film last night, and in total honesty, I liked Creed better.

Don't get me wrong, though. Rocky was outstanding, just poorly made, that's all.

Creed was almost what I'd call a perfect film - its pacing was spot on, it had enough in its story and dialogue to keep me hooked, it had superb acting (especially from its two leads), it gave me the feels in all the right places and it was just a good time.

This movie also proved to me that Sylvester Stallone has so much more in his locker to offer in terms of acting chops. A new discovery in Michael B. Jordan too, he was fantastic.

I would love to see another Creed movie, just not like a gazillion freaking sequels.

Oscar noms for sure for this movie.

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens



Even as I was watching Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I already knew that I had my number one movie of the year.

Not many movies have had that ability to me, as well, where I already think to myself that "this movie is by far the best movie of the year" even before it finished.

This movie made me laugh, this movie made me cry (a lot), and it filled me with such immense nostalgia even though I had only been a Star Wars fan for two weeks prior to watching Episode VII.

The special effects were top notch, and the casting for the new characters was fantastic - especially Daisy Ridley as Rey.

I have endless praise for Daisy Ridley. She's so beautiful and so talented, and I really want to see more of her in the movies real soon.

With the old cast members back, it just felt that they knew what to do. A sense of wisdom and experience.

Then there's the music, and boy oh boy, the glorious music.

Star Wars just isn't Star Wars without a John Williams score, and this one is as good as the soundtracks of Episodes IV and V.

Thank you Disney for not mucking up the legendary movie series, and thank you for bringing Star Wars back to the glory days of the original trilogy after the frankly horrendous prequels.



So there you have it, folks! My personal top 10 list of my favourite movies of 2015.

Do comment below your own top 10 as I'm interested to see what others think of 2015's offerings.

Up and coming is my personal top 10 WORST movies of 2015 list, and I can't wait to get started because there really were a number of appalling movies last year.

Till then, thanks for reading and stay awesome!

Comments