Creed

SPOILER-FREE MOVIE REVIEW

Rocky 7 this most certainly is not.

Sure, it is considered as part of the Rocky universe - the series of films dating back to 1976 starring Sylvester Stallone as THE Rocky Balboa.

Personally, I've not seen any of the Rocky movies, but I do know some of the important stuff such as the classic Rocky "fist-punching-the-air" pose and the iconic theme song(s) by Bill Conti ("Gonna Fly Now") and the ever-popular "Eye of the Tiger".

From what I've seen in this (completely) new movie, Creed, I can safely say that knowing as little as I know is sufficient in preparing yourself for a very enjoyable movie experience.

Warning - Do not underestimate this film by thinking of it as some cheap "popcorn movie" which just features intense boxing scenes. It's so much more than that.

I've been dying to watch this movie for a long time, but never was able to find the time to watch it due to numerous reasons.

I finally did yesterday, thank goodness they had one screening left in the whole of Singapore.

So, Creed.

The story follows up from Rocky Balboa (2006), where a retired Rocky (Stallone) meets Adonis "Donnie" Creed, the son of his rival in the first film, Apollo Creed - the man who died in the ring.

Initially, the movie started off a little shakily due to some odd cuts and editing techniques which I didn't really agree with.

Some bits felt a bit abrupt and some cuts rather jarring.

The movie does find its rhythm soon after, though, so it's ultimately a minor issue - and also pretty much the only issue I had with the movie.

I really loved the whole story - a story about a troubled young man looking to find his place in this world, living in the shadows of his famous Dad.

A story about self-discovery, of making his own splash in this world and not merely free-loading off the ripples his father had made before him.

These themes that carry on throughout the movie really bring it that extra step, making it rank right up there amongst some of the best movies of its kind.

I guess that's what also made the character of Donnie, portrayed brilliantly by Michael B. Jordan so likeable and memorable.

Huge plaudits to Jordan, then, after the appalling Fantastic Four reboot earlier this year. I didn't even watch it, but from what I hear from my friends and well, THE WORLD, it was terrible.

I'd say he's earned himself a potential Oscar nomination for his performance.

It's exactly the same for his mentor and trainer in the movie too, the one and only Sylvester Stallone.

Boy, was Sly good in the movie.

He brought so much warmth and heart to an already impressive film, and I legitimately didn't know he was capable of portraying or delivering that level of dramatic acting.

Guess you could call it a pleasant surprise. A really pleasant one.

I have nothing but absolute praise for the two leads in this movie. They did a fantastic job with their characters.

Then there was the supremely choreographed fight sequences, which were really intense and brutal, and you most certainly did feel every single blow. This, all without the fights feeling planned or fixed at all.

They were surprisingly very well shot too.

There's this one particular fight where it looks as if the entire sequence was filmed in one take. Really impressive.

Same with the camera work in the entire film too, as pointed out by my friend who accompanied me. Impressive.

The score by Ludwig Göransson was pretty decent, with many themes harking back to the classic Rocky theme.

All in all, Creed exceeded my expectations in the best possible way.

It was moving, deep, heartwarming and very very good.

It's solidly made and with good acting - especially its two leads.

Creed was outstanding, and I'm considering this among the movies I watched in 2015.

It ranks in my top 5 for sure, and my top 10 is now in the works.

9/10.

Comments