The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2

SPOILER-FREE MOVIE REVIEW

It's finally here - the end to the biggest book-to-movie franchise in recent memory.

Like many, I'm very annoyed with the fact that the filmmakers split the last movie into two parts. I feel that this "tactic" is just a means of earning as much money as possible from what's left of the ending franchise.

However, I do have a 12-year-old sister who is a big fan of the books, and she told me that the last book is very big.

So, okay, fair enough. On to the movie.

As with the previous film I reviewed, SPECTRE, I decided to go into Part 2 with low expectations to avoid disappointment - mainly due to the fact that almost all my friends have told me that it's terrible and it's a waste of time and money.

Right from the get-go, however, I started getting the feeling that they put just a tad bit too much into Part 1.

Part 2 felt as though it lacked, or rather, didn't have much source material and plot points left from the book to work on, and the 137 minute runtime feels just too long and too much for what had to be covered.

I honestly think the movie could have wrapped up in like 90 minutes or so, but no, they just had to drag it on and on and on.

Pacing was another major issue with the movie too, and perhaps the lack of action sequences throughout led to the film being draggy and at times, boring.

There were many eye-rolling moments too - moments that I really really disliked due to how unnecessary those bits were to the narrative.

The film was really predictable too, sadly.

I would have really appreciated it if they hadn't hinted and foreshadowed the twists before the twist actually happened, as the effect of suspense was completely ruined. Such a shame.

As for the rest of the movie, well, it was nothing spectacular.

The cinematography was alright, as was the soundtrack and the acting.

Kudos goes to Jennifer Lawrence as well, cos she's just class, isn't she?

However, I feel a sense of fatigue and tiredness with the franchise in her performance, as though she's sick of playing the famous Girl On Fire.

Can't blame her though, the franchise has been carried on her shoulders ever since the first movie three years ago, with an exhausting shooting schedule (four movies in three years).

Another highlight was the character of Finnick Odair (Sam Claflin), who has gone from biggest asshole the movies have ever seen to one of the most likeable characters in the series. I thought that change in heart was lovely to see evolve over the course of three films.

The ending of the movie though... GAH.

I don't want to go in-depth with it, because I fear that a little spoiler will slip out of me as I rant.

Hence, I'll just describe the ending as viewed in my opinion like this:

"That's it? Wow. Okay."

Yup, that's pretty much how I was feeling as the movie concluded.

There wasn't that sense of epic resolution that we got in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises in 2012 where the jigsaw pieces all just fell in place.

What a pity.

Well, there you have it folks. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2.

Would I recommend the movie? No.

However, I say that you should just watch it for the sake of completing the Hunger Games storyline once and for all (I hope).

Yup, it's reached that stage where the only reason to watch the movie is just for the sake of completing the quadrilogy.

All in all, it's a disappointing finale to what has been an interesting and compelling series of films, and a disappointing film on its own.

4/10.

Comments