The Intern

SPOILER-FREE MOVIE REVIEW

How's it going, guys! I've got good news for you today.

I finally found the time to watch a couple of movies today - and I watched Bridge of Spies and The Intern back-to-back.

Hence, a double upload today! So do enjoy.

Also, I think I'll change font from Courier to this Verdana font now to freshen things up a bit.

And now, without further ado, The Intern.

The premise was already very appealing right from the start, where you have this bored, retired 70-year-old man who is just looking for something to do with the remainder of his life instead of "rotting away".

The elderly man, Ben Whittaker (Robert De Niro) spots a little advertisement from an online e-commerce fashion company who are looking for interns as part of their Senior Internship Programme.

And from this point onwards, the movie gets really interesting.

I liked how Ben is old and wise enough (with all his unrivalled experience in the line of work) to be the boss of this company, run by Jules Ostin (Anne Hathaway), but instead ends up being "just an intern".

And can I just say that Robert De Niro's character of Ben is just the most likeable and most awesome person I've ever seen ever.

De Niro plays this classy, crisp and proper elderly gentleman with such distinction and finesse that you'd only get from a veteran like THE Robert De Niro.

He makes it a point to dress up for work even though he is not required to, and that persistence to be proper is just so infectious.

What's also infectious is his amazingly optimistic personality and attitude.

With him, there'll never ever be a bad day.

Oh, how I wish people like him would exist in reality. I guess he's a benchmark for us men to strive for.

These characteristics really made everyone around him like him, and some were inspired too.

There's also this one thing Ben said about handkerchiefs in the film which gave me a new "must-do" in the future, so thanks Ben.

Anyway, enough about Ben. I don't want to go on rattling on about him for an hour or so (I think I might even be able to).

Back to the film, and all the basics were delivered with a certain sense of ease and simplicity.

The story, for one, is very simple. 

In some cases, a simple plot causes a film to be too predictable and hence unenjoyable.

The simplicity here, though, was what the film needed.

Why? Because the characters were just such a joy to watch on screen.

De Niro and Hathaway have great chemistry, as you'd expect from these two Oscar-winning actors.

However, this chemistry is shared with the supporting cast too. Credit to them (Rene Russo, Adam DeVine, Zack Pearlman and so on).

I guess it's just refreshing to see a bunch of youngsters getting along with someone three times their age.

It was also lovely how little subplots and story arcs were incorporated into the film.

I thought these subplots worked very well, and due to the simplicity of it all, the film becomes very easy to follow. 

It's not like some Interstellar nonsense where you spend most of your time trying to figure out what's going on rather than depending on the film to explain what's going on for you (which is what a film should be doing).

All in all, The Intern is a well directed, acted and made, which oozes quality as well as this vibe which tells you that everything was well-thought-out.

Pacing is spot-on, and not for one second was I bored.

As far as feel-good movies go, this one was right up there amongst the very best like Pretty Woman or Mrs. Doubtfire, just to name a few.

Yes, I am putting this movie up against classics like these. It was that good for me.

I also like how this is something fresh for Mr. De Niro.

Usually when people use references from De Niro films, they'd be like "Oh yeah! Like Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver", or "That reminded me of De Niro in Raging Bull".

Now, they can reference this one too.

If you haven't already caught it, I think you really should.

It's a really good time all round, and it will really make your heart warm.

Thank you, movie for making my day.

8.5/10

Comments