Barely Lethal

SPOILER-FREE MOVIE REVIEW

Let's just get straight to it, guys. It was painful to watch this movie.

A comedic spy film starring up and coming actress Hailee Steinfeld(Begin Again, Pitch Perfect 2), Jessica Alba and Samuel L. Jackson. Hardly a recipe for disaster with such a great cast, wouldn't you think?

Sadly, a disaster it was.

Right from the off, I could see a plot that has been seen a million and one times. The story is so clichéd and so predictable that it just took away the fun feel of it.

There's this particular "twist" in the opening of the film, which was completely ripped off from the 2012 Bond film, 'Skyfall'.

Being a massive Bond fan, I wasn't impressed at all.

I was really disappointed with how they utilised the terrific cast too.

Even with such an incredible actor in THE Samuel L. Jackson, as well as Jessica freaking Alba in the cast, they weren't able to save the movie.

They were so painfully underused, especially Jessica Alba.

She played the movie's antagonist, Victoria Knox. Even though she was the film's main villain by name, however, she had so little screen time that I'd give that title to 84 (Sophie Turner).

Samuel L. Jackson, although playing a good guy for the first time in forever, just feels too good for a movie of this size.

Hailee Steinfeld, as much as I like her as an actress, just didn't need this movie role. I felt that she would have been better off not doing it.

Apart from the wasted cast, everything else wasn't great either.

I hated the CGI the most. Jeez, it was so fake. My guess is because they spent all that money on hiring them big names just to make people the slightest bit interested in watching a movie we've all seen a million times.

That's pretty much all I have to say about 'Barely Lethal'. It was a waste of 1 hour and 36 minutes of my life and a waste of my money. Don't bother going to the cinema for this, just wait for it to show on TV.

2/10.

Comments