Kingsman: The Secret Service

SPOILER-FREE MOVIE REVIEW

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for how late I'm posting this review. I've been meaning to post it but I've been caught up with so many things that I've not been able to find the time. Sorry guys!

Now, without further ado, let's talk about 2015's 'Kingsman: The Secret Service'.

The latest offering from acclaimed director, Matthew Vaughn, 'Kingsman' is a spy-fi action comedy starring Colin Firth, Samuel L. Jackson and newcomer Taron Egerton.

I was very excited for this film. Not only because of the trailer, but also because it's a Matthew Vaughn film.

This is the man behind some utterly brilliant films such as 2004's 'Layer Cake', 2010's 'Kick-Ass' and 2011's 'X-Men: First Class'. 

With 'Kingsman' being added to Vaughn's increasingly impressive resumé, he is really establishing himself as one of the best directors of this generation.

On to the film, and all I can say is three words - Stylish, thrilling and brilliant.

From the direction to the cast, the film excels in pretty much everything.

The story is simple, without being too predictable or cliché. A few plot twists here and there are welcome too, as well as being very unexpected.

The cast is perfect - from the wise and charming Harry Hart (Colin Firth) to the hilarious villain Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson).

This is the first time I've seen Colin Firth in such a badass role, and boy was I impressed. It was so satisfying to see him kick ass while maintaining such great composure.

The whole feel of the movie is great too. I liked how classy the suits looked on all the Kingsmen, especially Harry (Colin Firth).

There's a very stylish touch to the film as well. Subtle little effects here and there really made this film stand out from all other spy films.

I also really liked the music. Henry Jackman's score is good, but the songs selected for the film really gave it that extra something.

Sadly, not everything was superb.

I felt that Roxy (Sophie Cookson) deserved far more screen time and character development. Same goes with Arthur (Michael Caine).

That is all that I was disappointed with.

'Kingsman' effortlessly surpassed 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' as my favourite film of 2015 thus far. And trust me, it will be hard to beat it.

I read a reviewer's quote about this film, in which it said that 'Kingsman' was "More badass than Bond". I think that's a rather unfair judgment as Bond is limited in terms of its content to PG13.

When put up against Bond, however, I'd say that 'Kingsman' is a breath of fresh air as it is something different. Bond is still in a league of its own, while 'Kingsman' is up and coming.

I really can't wait for it to be out on Blu-ray.

'Kingsman: The Secret Service' is absolutely brilliant.

9/10.

Comments