MOVIE REVIEW - 'CINDERELLA'

I decided to watch the new modern live-action take on 'Cinderella' last Wednesday. It was raining heavily and I had no intention of going home until the rain had subsided. I was roaming around a mall and walked past the cinema on the top floor to see if there were any interesting films being screened. It so happened that 'Cinderella' was to be screened at a very convenient timing for me, and thus, I decided to give it a shot.

My immediate take-away from the film? It was absolutely beautiful. It is a fantastic new take on the classic fairy tale that we all know and love. My hat really goes off to the film's director, Sir Kenneth Branagh. Sir, you have made an absolute masterpiece. From the terrific twisted storyline to the outstanding cinematography, this film is excellent.

I never knew a particularly soft spot existed in me until I watched this. I actually teared up a bit despite already knowing what was going to happen next - and that shows how good the movie is.

The casting of Lily James as the title character was an inspired choice. The role fit her like the glass slipper to Cinderella's foot. Richard Madden as Prince Charming was good too, although I think a more handsome actor would have been better. Despite that, Richard Madden did a good job. Cate Blanchett was absolutely terrific as the Evil Stepmother. She plays evil and cruel very well. One casting choice that surprised me was Helena Bonham Carter as the Fairy Godmother. We are all used to seeing her in very dark and gothic roles but here in this film, she appears as the total opposite. She's dressed in white and she looks reborn, to be honest. The only casting choice that left me disappointed was Sophie McShera and Holliday Grainger as Ella's stepsisters. They were overly cartoonish and silly, and I found them rather annoying.

The one thing that I liked most about this film is the cinematography. Haris Zambarloukos did a terrific job. The film is really shot very, very well. You could tell that Sir Kenneth Branagh and Haris Zambarloukos put every thought to how beautiful each and every shot could be. Kudos to them.

Another impressive aspect of the film was the costume design. Three-time Oscar-winning costume designer Sandy Powell did an amazing job. Cinderella's dress was magnificent, and all the extras at the ball were all dressed in exquisite gowns and suits too.

To sum it up, 'Cinderella' has set a whole new benchmark for modern takes on classic fairy tales, and maybe even sweet, romantic, tug-at-the-heartstrings dramas as well. It is by far the best movie I've watched all year and I'd choose this over 'Insurgent' anytime. Well done Sir Kenneth Branagh and everybody who made 'Cinderella'. You made my day.

8.5/10.

Comments